Danilo Cavalcante, a prison escapee Captured after 2 weeks of search

Danelo Cavalcante was apprehended on Wednesday, ending a two-week search for a convicted murderer who escaped from a Pennsylvania prison, according to officials.

Cavalcante was captured shortly after 8 a.m. by members of a tactical team leading the manhunt, according to Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro and Lt. Col. George Bivens of the Pennsylvania State Police, who both confirmed this at a news conference. Nothing was shot.

Cavalcante was apprehended without incident, according to law enforcement. He was apprehended in a wooded area inside the perimeter established by law enforcement.

The convicted killer then ascended using a crabwalk until he vanished from a camera’s field of view. Cavalcante used a climbing method that was used by another prisoner to escape in May. Then, in order to escape, he ran across a roof, scaled a fence, and propelled himself through razor wire.

He was spotted numerous times in Chester County, stole a van, and showed up at homes of people he knew from years ago more than 20 miles outside the search area, but he managed to evade capture for 14 days.

The inmate, who was carrying a stolen.22 caliber rifle, was apprehended early on Wednesday by a small army of state and federal law enforcement officers in a wooded area about 15 miles north of the prison where he had been held. They had been notified by a tripped burglar alarm shortly after midnight. He resisted as a police dog bit and tackled him as he attempted to crawl through dense underbrush. Police reported there were no gunshots.

Later, Cavalcante could be seen in news footage being led into the back of an armored vehicle while donning dark pants and a Philadelphia Eagles hoodie. He was surrounded by more than a dozen law enforcement officers and had his hands clasped behind his back.

His capture put an end to a tense nearly two-week manhunt that caused anxiety and fear in the suburbs of Philadelphia and made headlines in Brazil, where Cavalcante was wanted for homicide. Deb Ryan, the district attorney for Chester County, said on Wednesday that “our nightmare is finally over and the good guys won.”

Tuesday, after Cavalcante stole a rifle from nearby homeowner’s garage and the homeowner fired several shots at the fugitive as he fled, authorities described Cavalcante as “armed and extremely dangerous,” making the nightmare seem to get worse. The theft and shooting may have ultimately marked a turning point in the thorough investigation by numerous law enforcement personnel. Lt. Col. George Bivens of the Pennsylvania State Police said on Tuesday, “I think he is just trying to survive and avoid being captured right now.”

Owner of a farm that was twice searched, Charles Lyman, claimed that he thought Cavalcante had been on his property twice: once in a horse trailer and once in a tree house. Five granola bars, according to Lyman, were taken from the trailer. He remarked, “He got a snack out of that.” “He was subsisting for a while on granola bars.”

Police conducted several searches at the farm. Regular property checks were also conducted by Lyman and others “with guns strapped to us all day long.” It’s definitely put us on edge, he continued. “It was terrifying.” Late on Monday, a resident in South Coventry Township, Chester County—about 20 miles north of the prison—called the police to report that a shirtless man had broken into his garage and taken a rifle. The homeowner shot at Cavalcante as he ran away. Near the driveway, a white t-shirt and a green sweatshirt were discovered. According to police, the inmate’s.22-caliber rifle was outfitted with a scope and flashlight.

At least one local school district held all academic activities inside, while others closed for the day. The community was advised to keep their doors locked. Drones, dogs, and helicopters helped the authorities search the dense forest. A resident of East Nantmeal who owns a farm in the area received a knock on the door from state troopers wearing tactical gear at around 2 a.m. on Tuesday. After hearing gunfire, he dialed 911. The barns on his property were inspected and cleared.

We were able to sleep because they made sure everything was understood, the resident said. A total of 500 law enforcement personnel, including members of the FBI, ATF, Pennsylvania State Police, and US Marshals, searched the scene of the shooting. The area was surrounded by a perimeter that extended for miles in every direction. South Coventry Township was surrounded by dozens of patrol cars and an armored vehicle. “We think he’s in desperate need. He poses a threat, in our opinion,” Bivens said. I think he might be in need of that weapon enough to use it.

Cavalcante was unable to put the rifle to use on Wednesday morning. An alarm for a burglary that had gone off hours earlier, just after midnight, in the perimeter set up in a northern section of the county, provided authorities with a huge help. A nearby area was already the focus of search teams. Cavalcante was not at the location where the alarm was activated, but searchers immediately focused on the area, according to Bivens. A “heat signal” was detected just before one in the morning by a US Drug Enforcement Administration aircraft that was helping with the search.

The area of the heat source saw a flurry of searchers. But the law enforcement planes had to fly away because of a lightning storm. The smaller area was securely held during the storm by tactical teams on the ground, according to Bivens. After waiting out the storm and arriving just after 8 a.m. at the location of the heat signal was a tactical team that was heavily armed and included search dogs. Having the element of surprise allowed them to enter quietly, according to Bivens. The moment that happened, Cavalcante realized he was being surrounded.

According to Bivens, the prisoner tried to “crawl through thick underbrush, taking his rifle with him as he went.” He must have known the end was near, but he made one last effort to escape. Cavalcante was taken down by a K-9 from the US Border Patrol Tactical Unit after he “continued to resist” and was “forcefully taken into custody,” according to Bivens. Nearby was the stolen rifle.

Officers examined the tattoo on the back of the bloodied inmate, who had been bitten on the scalp by the dog, and cut the Eagles sweatshirt with scissors. The governor of Pennsylvania, John Shapiro, said: “He was desperate, and it was just a matter of time.” A Chester County dispatcher reported having their man at 8:18 in the morning. The Chester County government, the radio room, and the various other organizations involved in the prisoner escape are pleased to announce that the subject is now in custody. I’ll say it again: The subject is in custody.