Fulham beats Tottenham: Tottenham Hotspur out of League Cup “Carabao Cup”

Spurs have exited the Carabao Cup (colloquially known as League Cup), for the first time in nearly two decades after a painful night at Craven Cottage. Tottenham lost 5-3 in a penalty shootout to experience their first competitive defeat under Ange Postecoglou on Tuesday night, with Davinson Sanchez’s spot-kick crucially saved by Marek Rodak.

Postecoglou had led Tottenham to an impressive start to his debut season, winning consecutive Premier League games against Manchester United and Bournemouth after drawing with Brentford. However, this time Postecoglou will face inevitable questions about his team selection after such a strong start to the Premier League season, with nine changes made despite a lack of European football as the north Londoners miss out on a potentially crucial chance to end their 15-year trophy drought this season.

Tottenham’s understudies took the field, but Fulham’s squad suffered a setback. Kenny Tete, the Fulham defender, left the field due to a boot problem, leaving the team one man down. Tottenham took advantage of the situation, tying the game in the 56th minute. Richarlison scored with a well-placed header after Ivan Perisic’s precise cross from the position Tete would have guarded.

Despite the efforts of both teams, a winner remained elusive, forcing the game into a penalty shootout. Tottenham’s hopes were dashed when Davinson Sanchez’s shot was saved by Marek Rodak. In a dramatic moment, Kenny Tete, now wearing boots on both feet, fired the decisive kick that gave Fulham the victory.

Tottenham continue to suffer from a trophy drought that dates back to 2008, and their hopes of winning the FA Cup this season have been dashed as they exit the competition earlier than expected. Luton Town won their first game since their long-awaited return to the Premier League after 31 years. Following defeats to Brighton and Chelsea in their first two Premier League games, Luton Town rallied at home to defeat fourth-tier Gillingham 3-2. Jacob Brown, Alfie Doughty, and Cauley Woodrow all scored to give Luton a 3-0 lead.

Bournemouth manager Andoni Iraola secured his first win in English football with a thrilling 3-2 victory over second-tier Swansea. After drawing with West Ham and losing to Tottenham and Liverpool in his first three league games, Iraola’s Bournemouth rebounded spectacularly. Ryan Christie’s outstanding finish in stoppage time sealed a dramatic comeback victory for David Brooks and Hamed Traore.

Crystal Palace staged an incredible comeback against Plymouth, rallying from a two-goal deficit to win 4-2 in the League Cup. Jean-Philippe Mateta’s hat-trick heroics stole the show, orchestrating a memorable Premier League victory for the club.

Brentford faced Newport in a tense match that ended in a 3-0 penalty shootout victory after a 1-1 draw. The fourth-tier Newport side presented a challenge, but Brentford held their nerve to advance in the competition.

Salford, the fourth-tier club co-owned by football legends David Beckham, Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs, and Paul Scholes, defeated Championship side Leeds United in a penalty shootout. Following a 1-1 draw, Salford won 9-8 on penalties, prompting co-owner